Tuesday, June 11, 2013

HAVE i EVER TOLD YOU? HANAH AND HALLOWEEN

Have I ever told you about Hanah and Halloween costumes? 
My daughter, Hanah, is twenty years old now. She vehemently denies doing anything that made her look foolish in the past. Perhaps, if I write it down, there will be a legal record of her nerdiness! 
There were two things Hanah was into in her childhood: Halloween and animals.   
When she was a tot, I just bought her a costume that looked the cutest ,without being too expensive. As she grew to have her own opinions, things became more complicating. There was a definite gap between her wishes, a common sense and what I was willing to pay for one night's clothes. The first time she had a chance to choose who to be on her favorite holiday, it was a cat, of course. Not just any cat, mind you; it had to be one of the Big Cats. I drew cute whiskers on her face, but she demanded a black feline nose and a white muzzle as well. She was invited to a friend's house to celebrate Halloween. While other children ate the treats, ran and played, my daughter sat in a branch of the tree in the yard, looked at the moon and mewled softly. If someone came close to the tree, she would stay in character and growl at the person. Needless to say, she was never invited there again! 
The next year she had a fit at the Halloween costume store, because I tried to talk her out of buying a horse costume, complete with  a hood looking like a horse's head. The thing was made out of heavy plush material that would become too hot in a party, and it cost a fortune! No matter, she would not look at any other disguise. I was too tired to argue: Hanah got her wish.  
In the evening I dropped her and her brother at the church Halloween party. When I came back, I couldn't see Hanah among the kids in the room. As I was walking around, I noticed a plushy brown leg under a table. There she was, since almost the moment that the party started, too mortified to show herself in the horse get-up!   





No comments:

Post a Comment