Monday, September 2, 2013

GRANDSONS WHO HELP

     I found Sonny a job for today. My good friend, Asale Kimaada, is a founder of and the power engine behind the organization called Grandmothers Who Help. They bring Black History exhibits to schools and organizations. This country needs to take off it's rose colored glasses and see it's history and people who made it in clear light. I first met her because California courts allow to pay traffic tickets by working as a volunteer. I had a few tickets, and it was fortunate, since it gave me a great chance to be with Asale and help her place the exhibits in various schools. Like she said after we talked for awhile, we both felt immediate connection with each other, but there isn't apparent reason for it yet. I help her, time to time, but not a lot. Today Sonny was the one to help set up the booth for Grandmothers Who Help at the historical Oakland Mosswood Park, for the Pan African Family Reunion. Even Asale didn't know, what that means. She just wants to be at that event to raise funds and make the larger community aware of her organization.
     I still am, mostly, lame from tendinitis and could only drive Sonny to Mosswood Park and wait for him to finish his work. One time I felt so bored in the car that I grabbed the cane and made my way, limping, to Asale's booth. They made it very homey, with a pretty antique rug lying on the grass in the middle of the booth. Black beautiful faces looked at me solemnly from the pictures of the settlers in the West and the first black athletes, businessmen and scientists and heroes. Books were everywhere, the histories of a struggle with oppression and victories over it. Asale had a photo of President Obama on her tee-shirt and a book written by Michelle Obama. Its so strange: I am a committed Republican, but I have more in common with people like Asale and other liberals. No matter how long the rich and the powerful think they can keep their misdeeds hidden from the world, they will one day be revealed. 
     Sonny did  a great job setting up the booth. He unloaded everything from the van, lugged it to the spot and helped to organize and put together the tables and poster boards. It also looked that he liked being needed and appreciated. I am very glad for and proud of him today!

No comments:

Post a Comment