Sunday, August 18, 2013

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

     Dr. Park was in awe: "I watched a movie last night for three and a half hours! The Good, the Bad and the Ugly! No commercial breaks. Wow!" His Korean accent became more pronounced. "The Good. The Bad. And - the Ugly!" Mmm. The name seemed to make the deepest impression on him. 
     I think that movie is too long, but I also like the title the most. It seems to describe the population of this world. The Americans, who try to find "happy endings" in everything, or, perhaps, are the happy innocents who try to see good in everyone, often asked me: "But the people Russia are good, right? It's the government that's bad!" I learned to answer: "Like everywhere in the world, there are the good, the bad and the ugly people in Russia. And it's the abetting, the enabling of the government that makes it so bad in there." The cronies, the butt kissers, the ready-for-action executioners and enforcers - they make it look like the people are in on the decisions and laws that create the atmosphere of unreal terror and oppression. That is also the reason why I could never like the butt-kissing and the leaping to action in my church. "Oh, someone made a mistake, let's get him! Let's pronounce him the Devil! Who can outdo me?" And there are always those who try to outdo each other in their unholy fervor.


No comments:

Post a Comment