Sunday, October 20, 2013

Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel - Northern California Hostels


     Today I went to a church retreat for ladies at: Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel - Northern California Hostels
     I didn't want to go there because I didn't feel that I wanted to fawn over Mrs. Moon anymore.

     A few of my friends talked me into it, though, and I talked Mary into going. She, conveniently, I might add, got a cold this morning and didn't come with me. Here is an e-mail that I wrote to her about my time at a retreat:

     Hi Mary, how is the cold? I was so sorry that you couldn't come! 
     The experience at the retreat itself was about what I expected it to be: a little moving, a little uncomfortable with all the fawning over the "true mother Moon". I don't see how intelligent, good people can create so many excuses for others to misuse them. 
     The place was gorgeous. It's, actually, a very simple hostel, but it seats on a cliff overlooking the expanse of the ocean between Pacifica and Half Moon Bay. On the way there, the fog rolled out, prettily filling the depressions in the landscape. The ocean was uncovered, though: very beautiful, not gray, but gray with a very intense blue hue, Right by the cliff where the hostel was, we saw some large black shapes in the water; I think - seals or whales. And the air was deserving the mention of it's own - cold and invigorating, 
    I perked up as soon as I drew a lungful of that air and, probably, looked properly bright and inspired.
     What made me love that trip was the trip itself. In the van driven by Christine F. were I, Marianne I. and Toshiko W. Toshiko and I sat in the back. She usually seems a little too business-like to me, but today she and I talked. It turned out that that sister whom I see about twice a month at the church for the last twenty years was at the first workshop where I joined the church in 1982! She remembers me! She even outlined my figure in the air as it was then. 
     Marianne was a missionary in Nicaragua before and after it became Communist. She told us about the challenges and danger of it and about finding the first member there in a line to a movie theater to see Ten Commandments. He had a father and twelve siblings, five of whom became members (including his dad who is now 90 yrs old - and still a member). 
     Christine told us about our movement in Russia and the politics between different Korean and Japanese leaders there.
      I felt incredibly privileged to be in that van to hear all the stories and - quite sad that I couldn't feel as my sisters who gave so much to our movement and who still feel gung ho about it. 
     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment