Tuesday, July 2, 2013

OLD MOVIES

     I love the old movies, don't you? Some people, like my husband, won't even watch the black and white flicks. For my kids, the movies from the 80s are the old movies! Just today, I enjoyed Moonstruck (Cher and Nickolas Cage )immensely . Sonny watched it with me for about half an hour and melted away into his room. But I'm talking now about really old pictures, from the 1930s, and 1940s, to start with. Good Bye, Mr. Chips is so decrepit that the images are blurred. I like Bogart's and Bacall's mysteries, but they are a little too long-winded for me, but her How to Marry a Millionaire, with Marilyn Monroe and Betty Grable, are a fabulous fun! In fact, I like almost all the movies with Marilyn, especially, Some Like It Hot, also with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, my other favorite. I can quote from Some Like It Hot, I watched it so many times! 
     What else? Deborah Kerr is a wonderful actress. In Beloved Infidel she played F.Scott Fitzgerald's lover, and won me over with her talent and passion. Myrna Loy is great in the comedies, I especially like her and Cary Grant in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House  and The Bachelor And The Bobby Soxer. She always looks so polished, yet there is a certain vulnerability and childish naivete in her characters.  
     Cary Grant and James Stewart are my favorite male actors. They are so multi-faceted in their performance, yet you can't imagine them being arty-farty. Have you ever seen Father Goose? Cary Grant is older there, but he gives his 100% in that WWII film. Its about an old alcoholic professor, an escapee into the bottle and the South Seas, finding a new purpose in life and a new love, while trying to save a group of school girls and their French teacher (Leslie Caron) from the Japanese. Every situation in that movie brings laughter to the lips and warmth to the heart.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment