Monday, August 25, 2014

GRANT ME THE SERENITY... PUT IT IN GOD'S HANDS!

     We came home from the restaurant (yes, I made Taka take us out in honor of Reina's leaving tomorrow!)... Let me start again: we came from the restaurant really tired. Today was a full day. I, finally, took Reina and Roberta to my friend's, MaMa Asale's church. It's a small building in a part of San Leandro, where it already meets Oakland. 
     I was quite moved when the pastor, who stood in the doorway (the service started), cordially beckoned us to come in. 295479_485316428180603_1250337311_n.jpg (960×345)
     BASIC Ministry is a black church. Reina was curious to see their style of worship, and that's what she got! Even though a singer had a beautiful voice, it and the music were deafening in a small room. I tried to feel beyond my discomfort at being in an unusual environment and hoped that, Reina and Roberta will also make such an effort. 
images (290×174)     If I was asked to say a few words about my experience there, I would've said: "My ears are still ringing, but I came here as a spectator and am leaving this place in a state of spiritual wonder!" 
     It's true: despite the noise and the shouting, I believe, God tried to say something to me. He said: "Put your problems and suffering in my hands!" 
     What does it mean? Things can get pretty overwhelming sometimes. We cannot even think of how to deal with them, and often hide behind our activities, jobs and addictions to avoid the fear of failing. God says: "Put those things in my hands!" He wants me to put my relationship (or the lack of it) with Taka, my inability to overcome the addiction to food, my fear of aging - put it all in God's hands! 
     The Serenity Prayer that we say in Al Anon goes like this: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference..." What I accepted today at the church was, God knows us intimately and will provide His assistance in the best possible way, at the best possible time. We just need to keep an open and a prayerful heart to see, where our own responsibility lies. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment