A quiet day yesterday.
Roberta fell asleep after watching two basketball games. I made her lunch, but she didn't show any indication of waking up, when I called. In a while, Sonny and I made dinner, the shepherd's pie. He loves that dish!
The evening came. I called Roberta again, and this time she got up, all sleepy-eyed, and sat at the table. I was a bit proud of Sony's and my efforts, so I put a plate with the shepherd's pie and veges in front of her with a flourish.
Roberta is not a complaining sort. She raised her eyebrows, but began to eat eagerly, even making delighted noises. Everyone was happy...
- "This is very nice "breakfast food"! - she offered. Uh-oh...
- "What do you mean, Roberta?"
- "Oh, nothing. I see, you decided to make a change from my usual breakfast oatmeal..."
Mine and Sonny's jaws dropped. It took me a moment to realize, what was happening and be able to respond.
- "What time of the day, do you think, this is?" - I asked.
- "Why, isn't it the morning?"
- "Umm, no! Don't you remember, you already had your breakfast today. Look outside: its dark."
- "That doesn't mean anything. What time of the day is it?"
That happened before. My dad also used to get up from a nap or in the middle of the night and decide, it was the morning and the time to eat breakfast.
This time Roberta didn't surrender right away. Again and again she asked, it that was really the evening and what day it was. I was tempted to add to my assurances that, it was also planet Earth, but managed to control my mirth.
Today she came to the breakfast table wearing a defiant look on her face, just in case, if I was back to my "tricks".
- "Good morning, how are you, Roberta?"
- "I'm fine. And this is the morning?!"