Tuesday, September 22, 2015

TO EAT (MEAT) OR NOT TO EAT?

     On Saturday I went to a dinner with some friends. The wife, Irina, is from Russia, and the husband, Rafi, is from Iran. They came to the United States recently and are still trying to find their way to stability.
Irina's work on their portrait
     What's so interesting about that? They are vegans! I am a devoted carnivore (as is my whole family), but because of poor health and some moral reasons began to play with an idea of quitting eating meat. What do you think about it?
     Irina and Rafi didn't just omit meat from their diets. They also don't use salt or sugar and milk products. I am not sure, whether they are full vegans, but it looks that way.
     Both, husband and wife, are very thin and almost see-through! Before, I often smirked at the people with their lifestyles, thinking, they look like the absence of heartier food and spices in their lives translates itself into their appearance and personalities.
     Now I stopped smirking. I'll take good health and energy over any appearances!
     They rent a little "in-law" apartment next to someone's house. It is small and austere, but has plenty of air. Irina and Rafi welcomed me to their home, where they worked hard to make dinner for us. I was interested to see, what kind of meal can be prepared without salt, that can still please the senses. Besides, like I said, the time has come for me to seriously listen to some alternative ideas about eating! So, I came there with open mind and ears!
images (273×185)
     There was so much food! They eat lots and lots of fruit, and platters of cut melon and grapes dwarfed the tiny table with four placemats. The meal tasted hearty enough: rice with baked eggplant and tomatoes, generously decorated with tomato/onion sauce, as well as baked potatoes with the same topping.
     Did I mention, it was one of the hottest days of the season? Well, my dedicated hosts slaved in front of the hot stove and oven to create a wonderful experience for me!
     Food was just a part of it. Rafi is very knowledgeable on the topic of how food affects health, and we spent hours talking about it. Then Irina - an artist of some repute - showed me her works. It was so touching to see her husband
pulling out folders of her drawings and her other creations. He truly cherishes her!

     At the end of our get-together (I saw my hosts beginning to yawn and realized, I stayed there too long) Irina and Rafi took me to my car. It was a residential area, and the evening got dark very quickly. They lit our way with a small flashlight.
     What a good time we had! It was hard to say goodbye!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment